Quick Links

Attend MCC tuition free with Next NC! Ask us if you qualify!
Application to apply to the college. Application for MCC acholarships.
Call us at 252-792-1521. Text us at 252-278-0457.

Student Grievances

The purpose of MCC's Student Grievance Policy is to assure students that their grievances will be considered in a fair and rapid manner and in a non-threatening atmosphere. Students have the right to grieve when they have reason to believe that a condition, situation, or an action affecting them is unjust, inequitable, and/or a hindrance to effective performance. A grievable action is an action that is in violation of written campus policies or procedures or constitutes arbitrary, capricious, or unequal application of written campus policies and procedures.

Student Grievance Procedures

The procedure is not intended to initiate disciplinary action against a member of the faculty, staff, or administration, or to alter college policy. Students dissatisfied with a financial aid decision must see the Financial Aid Director.

The following outlines the grievance procedure to be followed:

  1. Students with concerns should first discuss their problem with the faculty or staff member(s) who are involved. Both parties should attempt to resolve the issue in discussion.
  2. If the complaint is not resolved, the student must talk with the faculty/staff member’s immediate supervisor who will attempt to resolve the complaint.
  3. In the event that the grievance cannot be resolved within the department, students should submit a signed grievance form to the Vice President, Student Development Services (VP, SDS), within five (5) school days after completion of step 2. (Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office.) Copies of the complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate administrator of the area involved. The complaint should fully specify the time, place, and nature of the incident which resulted in the complaint.
  4. Within five (5) school days after receiving a signed grievance form, the VP, SDS, will schedule a meeting of the Hearing Committee to establish facts and recommend action. The student or staff member may have persons appear on his/her behalf provided a list of names is given to the VP, SDS, one (1) calendar day prior to the hearing. If the grievance is related to a clinical issue, a representative with clinical knowledge must serve on the Hearing Committee.
  5. Within ten (10) school days, the Hearing Committee shall submit its findings of facts and recommendations to the VP, SDS, with copies going to each party of the grievance and to the College President. The Hearing Committee's facts & recommendations, with any revisions by the VP, SDS, shall serve as a final decision unless changed through the appeal process.
  6. The accused, or the grievant, may request in writing an appeal to the President within three (3) school days of receipt of a decision. The President will render a decision within ten (10) school days and transmit it in writing to both concerned parties and to the Hearing Committee. In all cases, the President’s decision shall serve as the final governing authority of the College.

Student Complaints

The Licensure Division of the University of North Carolina System Office serves as the official state entity to receive complaints concerning post-secondary institutions that are authorized to operate in North Carolina. If students are unable to resolve a complaint through the institution's grievance procedures, they can review the Student Complaint Policy (PDF), and submit their complaint using the online complaint form at Post-Secondary Education Complaints.

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

223 S. West Street, Suit 1800

Raleigh, NC 27603

Phone: (919) 962-4550

Website: NCP-SEC

Out of State Students

Students enrolled in distance education courses at Martin Community College while residing outside the state of North Carolina who wish to register a concern or grievance should follow the "Student Grievance Procedure" as written on pages 145-146 in the Martin Community College Catalog (available at the MCC website). If the concern or grievance cannot be resolved internally, students may register their grievance with the appropriate state approving agency. Links to state approval agencies and/or information about various state complaint processes are available at this link: Complaint Process go here. Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC which is the portal for North Carolina. Students should use the SARA-NC Complaint Process and the SARA-NC Complaint Form. Links to these forms are located on MCC's State Authorization webpage and links are listed below:

Contact information for the SARA North Carolina Director that handles student complaints

Terrence R. Scarborough, M.P.A.

Director of SARA North Carolina

P.O. Box 41349

Raleigh, NC 27629

Phone: (919) 248-4667

Email: complaint@saranc.org

Website: SARA NC

Martin Community College (MCC) has been approved to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. Additional information pertaining to Out of State Students is located on MCC's State Authorization webpage

Student Records and Privacy

Students who believe that their rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) have been violated should discuss their concerns with the Vice President, Student Development Services, and/or the President of the College. However, students, if they wish, may file a complaint directly with the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Dept. of Education, 400 Maryland Ave. S.W., Washington, DC 20202-5920, Phone 202-260-3887. A complete copy of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act as printed and released by the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare is on file in the Student Services Office with the Registrar.

SACSCOC Accredited Institutions

Martin Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees. SACSCOC recognizes the value of information provided by students, employees, and others in determining whether an institution’s performance is consistent with SACSCOC standards for obtaining or maintaining accreditation. The procedures for the review of formal complaints involving member institutions must be submitted in writing using the SACSCOC “Complaint against Institutions: Information Sheet and Form,” signed, and two copies sent to: President, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097. SACSCOC will entertain neither complaints that are not in writing or which are anonymous, nor will it consider complaints sent electronically or through facsimile transmission. In addition, SACSCOC will not act on complaints submitted on behalf of another individual or complaints forwarded to SACSCOC.

Additional information is available at the SACSCOC website including the SACSCOC Policy Statement and Information Sheet and Form, available at the following URL: SACSCOC Complaint Policy (PDF).

Available File(s) for Download: